Flood Takes Over Jefferson County

Brian Gagen and Darion Stewart, DeTail Staff

Multiple areas of Jefferson County were greatly affected by the inevitable crest of the flood the first week of May. While many were safe and not affected directly, there were plenty of families who lost everything they had.  Driving and seeing homes under water, families camped out in parking lots, no one should have to surrender their home under any circumstances.

James Rainwater, an NHS junior whose family lives in Cedar Hill near Club Villa along the Big River dealt with high waters for the second time since the great flood of 2015.
“The 2015 flood, we had about two inches of water in our house,” said Rainwater.  “Last week the water rose in our living room about 5-feet.”
The NWR-1 School District was one of several districts including Rockwood and Fox to cancel school.  Northwest schools were out four days, May 2 – 5, and all athletic and academic activities including the May 6th prom were either cancelled or rescheduled.
Senior class sponsor Tracy Gregorc was able to reschedule prom for May 13 at its original site in Union Station.
According to Activities Director Jeff Taggart 34 sports events were cancelled and as of May 8, 70 percent of the games had been rescheduled.
Available facilities and officials for the few remaining dates in the school year were factors affecting getting the games in.
One athletic event that will not be made up are the girls and boys Suburban West Conference Track Championships because the meets were so close to the state district meet.  NHS boys and girls track athletes begin districts on Friday May 12 at Central High School in Park Hills with javelin and the remaining 18 events on Saturday May, the same day as prom.